The camping landscape has changed, and now many families are setting off for trips. However, they don’t want to be inside a tent in the height of summer.
It is here where there has been an influx of air conditioners on the market for all types of campers.
You can find a portable camping air conditioner for smaller tents, or you can find the larger units that families hook up to larger tents when they have access to electricity.
The bottom line is, these tent air conditioners are more common than ever before, and selecting one can be a challenge.
- Why You Need a Good Tent Air Conditioner
- Best Tent Air Conditioner Reviews
- 1. Portable Air Conditioner Fan, SHSTFD Small Evaporative Air Cooler Humidifier Purifier, Personal Quiet USB Rechargeable Mini Cooling Misting Desk Fan with LED Light 3 Speeds for Home Office Bedroom
- 2. FRIGIDAIRE White FFRA051ZA1 17″ Window Air Conditioner with 5000 BTU Cooling Capacity-115V
- 3. TaoTronics TT-AC001 Window Air Conditioner 10000 BTU Window AC Unit with Remote Control, 3 Fan Speed, Dehumidifier Mode, Sleep Mode, Timer, Digital Display
- 4. Tripp Lite Portable Air Conditioner for Server Racks and Spot Cooling, Self-Contained AC Unit, 12000 BTU (3.5kW), 120V
- 5. Frigidaire 5,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Full-Function Remote Control Air Conditioner, 5000, White
- Tent Air Conditioner Buying guide
- Final Verdict
However, to save half the work, we have reviews of portable air conditioners that you can use with various power sources or ones you can rig up to the mains or generator.
However, by the end, you’ll have a better understanding of how to pick from the best tent air conditioners and AC unit there are. (Find the Best Camping Tent Sets)
Why You Need a Good Tent Air Conditioner
You can find a few reasons for needing an air conditioner for camping. The first is obvious, and it is to stop you from getting all hot and sticky on warm nights.
Second is, once your tent reaches a specific temperature, you’ll have no issues with mosquitos. They can’t function once the temps fall to a certain level.
Besides this, if you have children tagging along on your camping trip, they will feel more comfortable with cooler temperatures and avoid being ratty all the time.
Lastly, you may find you can camp in regions not considered previously because of the climate.
A portable AC unit can make camping life more bearable, so long as you select the best one to meet your needs. (Find the Best Portable Shower for Camping)
You can also find that humidity rises with more people, which can be worse than being warm. A portable air conditioner can help reduce humidity inside the tent.
Best Tent Air Conditioner Reviews
1. Portable Air Conditioner Fan, SHSTFD Small Evaporative Air Cooler Humidifier Purifier, Personal Quiet USB Rechargeable Mini Cooling Misting Desk Fan with LED Light 3 Speeds for Home Office Bedroom
You can find several reasons this portable AC unit finds its way onto many camper’s lists. It has high build quality, and it is rechargeable from a standard USB cord.
The AC is an evaporative cooler, so you only need to add fresh water to begin the cooling process. Air passes, and the effects of evaporation cool the inside of your tent. For quicker cooling, you can add ice as well as water for that extra chill.
Should the campsite offer electricity hookup, you can plug in a stand USB adapter to charge or run the device all night long. If not, you can power the tent AC unit from a power bank.
- Negative ion air purifier built
- Carry handle
- 3 speeds
- Low energy usage
- Water tray may be shallow
- Works better in dry conditions
With a guide price of just over $26, the small 5-inch square cube is the ideal accompaniment to warm tent nights without being noisy. It is small enough at 1 pound and comes with an LED night light.
2. FRIGIDAIRE White FFRA051ZA1 17″ Window Air Conditioner with 5000 BTU Cooling Capacity-115V
While the Frigidaire is a window unit, many campers use these tent air conditioners after tent modification. The 5, 000 BTU portable window air conditioner is the best window ACs available for camping as it’s simple yet effective.
Depending on your tent, you may have a low-to-the-ground ventilation flap. Get yourself an AC stand and slip in the window AC. You can suck out all the warm sticky air and cover you with a refreshing icy blast.
It comprises manual controls to keep the overall cost down, and it offers lots of cooling for a small unit. While it does come in with a steeper price than an evaporative cooler, it provides much better performance.
- Great tent sq ft cooling power
- Weighs less than 40lbs,
- Small dimensions at 41.2 x 40.8 x 30.2 inches
- Energy Star certified portable AC for tents
- Not suitable for backpacking
- Requires a campsite with electricity hookup
With a guide price of around $250, it can be expensive, yet if you are a serious family camper and know your sites have electricity, there’s no better way than to feel comfortable without raising the bill.
No products found.
No products found.
3. TaoTronics TT-AC001 Window Air Conditioner 10000 BTU Window AC Unit with Remote Control, 3 Fan Speed, Dehumidifier Mode, Sleep Mode, Timer, Digital Display
You have the TaoTronics window air conditioner for larger tents, which is a more powerful 10,000 BTU model. You sue this the same as any window air conditioning units through a flap and on a stand.
It offers three fan speeds, remote control, and a dehumidifier mode if you encounter any damp days. This allows you to get rid of humidity without cooling the air inside your tent. It can remove 2.6 pints of moisture per hour.
It also has a timer and digital display. For any camper who needs lots of performance and function, this is the top of camping air conditioners.
- Effectively cools around 460 square feet
- Efficiently cools a 6-person tent
- Fan-only mode as well as humidifier and cooling
- Energy-star certified
- More expensive than an evaporative cooler
- Needs campsite with electricity
With a guide price of just under $360, you look at the top end of camping air conditioning units. However, it can make the difference between comfort for large families or feeling like you’d rather be back home.
4. Tripp Lite Portable Air Conditioner for Server Racks and Spot Cooling, Self-Contained AC Unit, 12000 BTU (3.5kW), 120V
One of the newer models in use is the powerful Tripp Lite. Often seen in server rooms, this little unit comes in at 11.81 x 19.88 x 30.63 inches and throws out 12,000 BTU of cooling power.
It differs, as this isn’t a window type air conditioner and is fully portable. If you have the right tent and an AC socket, you can wheel this in and feed a flexible hose to anywhere outside your tent.
- 120V AC input from the regular power cord
- Very lightweight at 35 lbs.
- The self-contained unit cools, dehumidifies, and cleans the air
- It uses a standard 15-amp outlet
- Reports of limited lifespan
- No replacement parts