Many keen anglers amass a large volume of fishing gear over the years. However, if you are a beginner and want to start easy, you can settle for a small amount of gear.
Besides this, if you want to keep a small set of fishing gear at hand, you can opt for a rod and reel combo.
One advantage here is that you are less likely to make a mistake and pick the wrong rod to match your reel or vice versa. The manufacturer makes sure that the rod and reel combos are an ideal match.
By the time you get to the end of these reviews, you’ll know which is the best rod and reel combo to suit your needs. (Find the Best fish finders for Ice Fishing)
- Why You Need a Good Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
- Top Fishing Rod and Reel Combo Reviews
- 1. PLUSINNO Combos Carbon Fiber Telescopic Fishing Rod with Reel Combo Sea Saltwater Freshwater Kit Fishing Rod Kit
- 2. Sougayilang Combos – Carbon Fiber Telescopic Fishing Pole – Spinning Reel 12 +1 BB with Carrying Case for Saltwater and Freshwater Fishing Gear Kit
- 3. Fishing Rod and Reel Combos Telescopic Fishing Pole Spinning Reels Full Kit, 1.3M & 1.6M Fishing Rods + 2PCS Spinning Reels + Lures Hooks + Fishing Bag, Travel Fishing Kit for Kids Family Beginners
- 4. KastKing Crixus Combo, Baitcasting Combo, IM6 Graphite Blank Rods, SuperPolymer Handle
- 5. KastKing Centron Spinning Reel – Fishing Rod Combos, Toray IM6 Graphite 2Pc Blanks, Stainless Steel Guides
- Best Fishing Rod And Reel Combo Buying guide
- Final Verdict
Why You Need a Good Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
It’s hard to find the ideal combo when you’re searching for your first rod and reel. No matter the type of fishing, it’s easy to find a spinning rod, yet it doesn’t match the type of fishing you’ll be doing.
It makes sense to opt for a rod and reel combo as these are made to offer comprehensive capabilities for every angler.
If you are a beginner, you can grab your line and lures if they don’t come with the kit, and you can get going in the shortest possible time.
You can find many of these rods are not one piece and come in two parts or are telescopic.
These types of fishing rods are perfect for keeping in your car, or you can easily take them when backpacking or kayaking and whip them out if you can do a spot of fishing.
Top Fishing Rod and Reel Combo Reviews
1. PLUSINNO Combos Carbon Fiber Telescopic Fishing Rod with Reel Combo Sea Saltwater Freshwater Kit Fishing Rod Kit
The Plusinno Rod & Reel Combo is an excellent learner of the intermediate fishing kit with a load of extras.
It comes with a solid build, and the blank is made from a mix of fiberglass and high-density carbon fiber. It is strong, durable, and has the perfect action and sensitivity. It
The grip is a robust EVA foregrip for added comfort. Perfectly matched with the rod is the spinning reel that can withstand seawater corrosion.
The Plusinno has a deep aluminum reel coupled with an extensive line capacity and instant anti-reverse power drive gear. You also have an interchangeable handle for right- or left-handed use.
As it is telescopic, leaving in your vehicle or carrying when you have enough other gear when backpacking is straightforward.
- Durable and robust rod blank
- Folds to around 17 inches for storage and travel
- Reel offers a great drag and gear ratio of 5.2:1 and 12 bearings
- Perfectly matched for casting rod is 8 oz in weight
- Segments may rotate when casting if not fixed properly
- Comes without line or accessories
With a guide price of a little under $55, the Plusinno offers outstanding quality and is highly affordable. It doesn’t lack performance, and the most significant downside is you need to get an extra line, hook, and lures to complete your kit.
With this, you will find it is probably the best fishing combo for the money and will last a long time, even with lots of use.
2. Sougayilang Combos – Carbon Fiber Telescopic Fishing Pole – Spinning Reel 12 +1 BB with Carrying Case for Saltwater and Freshwater Fishing Gear Kit
The Sougayilang is a simple yet elegant telescopic fishing rod and reel combo. It offers excellent versatility between sizes and added equipment.
This rod and reel combo is suited to freshwater and saltwater. It comes in at an ideal length; it is strong and highly durable. The telescopic blank is made from 24T carbon, so it is as resistant to corrosion as breakage. (Find the Best Surf Rods For The Money)
For comfort, it comes with a durable EVA handle that adds casting grip in wet conditions.
The reel is another standout feature and is made from stainless steel ball bearings and brass gears. Besides, you will discover the built-in cast control. The fishing kit comes with all you need to get started for the absolute beginner.
- Multiple size kit options are available
- Lightweight carbon fiber rod with great action and sensitivity
- Robust and suitable for larger saltwater fish
- Excellent build quality
- The line included isn’t the best quality
- Eyes on the rod may break
With a guide price of just over $80, you pay a bit more for this telescopic rod, yet if you are unsure what you need to buy, you don’t have to look any further. There are a few niggles, yet these are easy to overcome if you are an occasional angler.
All in, you have a very affordable budget fishing kit that comes with lots of options in gear and hook options for learning anglers.
3. Fishing Rod and Reel Combos Telescopic Fishing Pole Spinning Reels Full Kit, 1.3M & 1.6M Fishing Rods + 2PCS Spinning Reels + Lures Hooks + Fishing Bag, Travel Fishing Kit for Kids Family Beginners
For a family who is getting into fishing, you can’t get better than this fishing kit. You get two aluminum alloy and fiberglass rods at 5.2 feet and 4.3 feet in length. They offer great elasticity for casual fishing and durable EVA handles to make a sure grip in wet conditions. (Find the Best Baitcasting Rod And Reel Combo)
The reel has an interchangeable handle, 2+1 ball bearings, and a 5.2:1 gear ratio.
Kit wise; you get 30 lures, jig head hooks, and more, and all are color-coded and match the red and blue of the rods.
- It makes a great family gift
- It comes in camo carry bag
- Suitable for freshwater and saltwater fishing
- 1-year warranty
- The included line is thin
- More suited to child use rather than adult
With a guide price of just under $40 for two rods, you get an excellent spinning rod that is perfect for little anglers who want to get interested in fishing.
The reels perform well, yet they can suffer from repeated use before the rods show signs of wear.
4. KastKing Crixus Combo, Baitcasting Combo, IM6 Graphite Blank Rods, SuperPolymer Handle
KastKing is one of the top names in casting rods, and the Crixus doesn’t fail to deliver. The rod blank is made from graphite, which offers lightness and is sensitive. All-day casting is comfortable, and the rod and reel combo can deal with heavy use and seawater.
The reel is well made from high-quality materials. It offers excellent drag, and you’ll discover the retrieve is buttery smooth when bass fishing.
- Great rod for casting
- The reel is smooth on the retrieve
- Drag is reliable
- 5+1 stainless steel ball bearings
- Reel comes in the left or right hand. Check before ordering
- Reel action not as smooth as some
With a guide price of just over $90, you pay a little more for this 6 feet baitcasting rod and reel. The quality and the performance are far from budget.
The guides are stainless steel with zirconium oxide inserts and smooth line transfer when casting or reeling in. You will also discover the handle is comfortable and is made from Golf Style Superpolymer. It is one combo that could offer years of service.
5. KastKing Centron Spinning Reel – Fishing Rod Combos, Toray IM6 Graphite 2Pc Blanks, Stainless Steel Guides
The Kastking Centron is another great rod from the same family. It offers lots of lightweight and durability you expect. You can pick from a range of lengths (6ft to 8ft) and has comfortable yet touch EVA handles and grips.
The rod is 2-piece and uses IM6 graphite rod blanks for construction. With this, you get great action and plenty of sensitivity.
With a smooth gear system and convenient EVA handles. The Centron spinning reel is a perfect match and can cope with heavy-duty performance. There are stainless steel guides with O-rings suited for monofilament and braided lines when bass fishing with this 6 feet rod and 2000 reel.
It comes with a smooth 5.2:1 gear system and 9+1 Maxi Dur ball bearings, so you don’t need to worry about your catch size.
You can find the rod ideal for a spot of surf fishing as much as it is from a pier or out on a lake on your kayak.
The real comes with gear ratios of 4.5:1 or 5.2:1, multiple disc drag systems, aluminum spools, and the 9+1 ball bearing systems.
- Suited for freshwater and saltwater fishing
- Lightweight, durable graphite frame
- Aluminum mechanized Spool
- Comes in various action and length
- The reel isn’t the most durable
- Rod tip may break for large-sized fish on the smaller rod
With a guide price of just under $65, it is a reasonable price for the performance. It offers fast action and is highly durable. On the all-purpose combo, you get a split rear EVA handle or a full handle on the more extended model for those long days fishing on the water.
Best Fishing Rod And Reel Combo Buying guide
Type of Fishing
There are many types of fishing, and sometimes, the rods are not interchangeable. Fly-fishing is a good example. However, with rod and reel combos, they are made to be an all-rounder for most fishing kinds. (Read Quick Guide to Saltwater Fishing In The Rain)
One of the main things to consider using these rods is the other gear and equipment to accompany them. Consider the type and size of fish and your lures, lines, baits.
Fishing Rod and Reel Combo Considerations
A combo comprises a fishing rod and reel; most of the time, these are ideal matches. Most times, you need to purchase the reel separately and decide if it suits your rod. With this out of the way, other considerations are:
The longer your rod, the further you can cast; however, you lose accuracy doing so. Also, if you are an average height angler, longer rods may be awkward to use.
The length of the rod affects the weight and how comfortable they are to use over extended periods. Besides, you need to know where you will use them.
Materials need to be durable, flexible, and light. You will discover this is an area where you can’t compromise. You will look for a rod and reel combo to last a while, so you won’t want them to break easily.
Choose materials such as graphite or fiberglass as these are durable, tough, and lightweight.
You will search for a light rod, and you can control and maneuver easily. Lightweight rods are easy to handle yet come with high sensitivity. A combo should maintain a perfect balance as the manufacturer matches them.
Heavier rods are harder to handle and can induce fatigue in your arms.
The reel seat needs to be durable, secure, and well-positioned. If you have a rod with a poor-quality reel seat, you can find you lose your reel when it loosens, or even worse, as you are casting.
The power of your rod can have a significant impact on the size of fish you can catch. The more pressure rods withstand and the more they can bend before they are prone to break. Heavy power rods are required when sea fishing or fishing for large bass that put up a good fight.
You can often find rods with either EVA materials or cork. Cork is an excellent material, yet it doesn’t last, and EVA is for heavy use. Even when wet, you will discover EVA, an ideal material, so you don’t lose your grip.
Ball bearings in your reel need to be high quality, so they deliver a smooth, minimal friction action. The best numbers to go for are ideally 4–6 ball bearings as a minimum if possible. These will offer smooth casting and withdrawing operations.
The drag needs to be on the upper end of the range. On the low end, you can find the combo breaks easily. However, the highest drag adds to the combo weight.
In testing the rod and reels here, each covers a different segment. You have a couple of rods suited more to kids and absolute beginners and those for more experienced anglers.
It was clear the PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel Combos Carbon Fiber Telescopic Fishing Rod with Reel Combo Sea Saltwater Freshwater Kit Fishing Rod Kit was coming out on top.
It is highly affordable and yet suited to experienced anglers. It has a sufficiently fast action, and the reel’s action is silky smooth with the 12 ball bearings.
The best thing is, you can pack up your rod and reel and keep it handy to fish anywhere you have the chance. Anyone who wants a great rod and reel or a backup will find this the best combo for the money.
Read more: How to Get Fish Smell Off Hands.