Not every person who goes camping is after the lightest tent as they head off backpacking. Families may want a tent for extended vacations to experience the great outdoors.
It is here, you either have a couple of tents or make use of large camping tents. A family camping tent can help retain the family feel and make things easier along the way.
In our reviews, you can find the top biggest tents for camping, which can deliver all the space you need.
By the end of reviews and tent buying guide, you’ll know what to look for when purchasing large family camping tents, and also which is the best multi-person large family tent to suit your needs. (Read How to Purchase a Tent)
- Why You Need the Largest Tents for Camping
- Top Largest Tents for Camping Reviews
- 1. Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent with Screen Room
- 2. CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent – 14′ x 9′
- 3. WHITEDUCK Outdoor Waterproof Canvas Wall Tent w/Heavy Duty Aluminum Frame, Angle Kits & PVC Floor Best Tents for Large Groups, Families & Outfitters, 4 Season Hunting & Camping
- 4. HIKERGARDEN Tent 8 Person Camping Tents, Waterproof Windproof Family Tent, 5 Large Mesh Windows, Double Layer, Divided Curtain for Separated Room, Portable with Carry Bag
- 5. CORE 12 Person Extra Large Straight Wall Cabin Tent – 16’ x 11’
- Largest Tents for Camping Buying guide
- Final Verdict
Why You Need the Largest Tents for Camping
A large family camping tent is ideal for a large group of people. However, sleeping space is often less than you expect. A guide is to have a large camping tent double the size of the number of people.
Here’s some reasons you need large tents for family camping trips.
You can section off areas in large camping tents for privacy or stashing your gear.
You can include height also, as they are generally over 6 feet in height, so most campers don’t need to crouch.
You may not consider the temperature, yet you have campers who like warm, breezy, and cool. When you buy a large tent with multiple sections, you can ventilate or not as you please.
Gear to Carry
It sounds strange, yet even with the largest camping tent, you could have less gear to pack. You have one set of poles, and the space required is less on the outside than multiple tents. Not to mention, the overall set-up time will be faster with one tent than two or three.
Purchasing one large family camping tent will be cheaper than multiple smaller ones.
The biggest camping tent will be better for bad weather than a small one. Large camping tents are suitable for setting up chairs in a screen room or central tent zone. (Find the Best Ultralight Tents)
Top Largest Tents for Camping Reviews
1. Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent with Screen Room
If you need a tent with lots of headroom and living space, you could choose the Coleman WeatherMaster 6-person instant cabin tent.
It stands above most people and offers room for two airbeds of the queen size.
The footprint is 153 sq.ft, including the screen room. The measurements are 11 L x 9 W x 6.8 H. On warm nights, the rainfly can be removed, and there will be an unobstructed view of the stars.
With sealed floors and zippers, the tent provides some of the best weatherproofing. You can also get back up with a 1-year warranty.
- Two doors, with one unique and convenient hinged door
- Angled windows keep the rain out yet offer lots of airflow
- Tall headroom of 6’ 8’’ to stand easily
- E-port for passing extension cables to the family tent
- Set-up takes some getting used to
- Screen porch section comes with no floor
It is of great value, with a guide price of just under $220. Coleman’s screen room space can be used for more than just storage.
It also allows access through the central hinged door. It’s easy to see why this is the best cabin-style family tents on the market.
2. CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent – 14′ x 9′
The Core 9 Person instant cabin tent comes with a max center height of 6.5 feet and overall dimensions of 14×9 dimensions offering space for two queen-size air mattresses.
It is effortless to set up thanks to Core’s Instant Hub Technology. It comes with an innovative adjustable venting system for more airflow and less heat. It features a room divider and wall storage pockets to keep electrical items off the floor.
- Great price for the features
- More than enough space for a large family
- Room divider for two-room set-up
- E-port for cord access
- No mesh porch area or vestibule
- Not many features for internal organization
With a guide price of just under $270, you get a great performer. It can be a 9-person tent if everyone sleeps in sleeping bags, although you forsake storage are for any gear.
It makes the Core more suited to smaller families who need a family cabin tent with space inside with a lack of separate areas.
3. WHITEDUCK Outdoor Waterproof Canvas Wall Tent w/Heavy Duty Aluminum Frame, Angle Kits & PVC Floor Best Tents for Large Groups, Families & Outfitters, 4 Season Hunting & Camping
No matter why you find yourself needing a tent, if you want something traditional yet with modern features, look no further. The canvas Alpha Wall Tent comes with everything you need, including an aluminum frame, rafter angle kit, and free-floating PVC floor.
The tent features a stove jack with flap, 3-layer large windows, zippered door and storm flap, bug mesh, sod cloth, all in a waterproof tent bag for easy transport and storage.
The canvas is fully treated and offers a water repellent, breathable finish. It has lots of interior space and covers plenty of square feet in one open area.
- Military-grade YKK Zippers
- Door and windows equipped with a PVC dipped mesh
- Groundsheet made from weatherproof, high UV resistant, heavy-duty 16 oz. polyvinyl
- Sod cloth is sewn onto the tent ground seam for 8″
- Needs two or more people to erect
- No erection instructions included
With a high guide price of just over $2,000, the tent offers a 4-season tent that can be a 10-person tent and cope with the worst weather. No matter if you are family camping, glamping, or off hunting.
The large tent may not have the fashion of modern tents, yet it is perfect to use for base camp anywhere and has a fantastic center height.
4. HIKERGARDEN Tent 8 Person Camping Tents, Waterproof Windproof Family Tent, 5 Large Mesh Windows, Double Layer, Divided Curtain for Separated Room, Portable with Carry Bag
The Hikergarden is big enough for 8 people with dimensions of 14 x 9 x 6(H) ft. It can comfortably fit three queen air mattresses or eight sleeping bags.
The outer fabric is durable & high-quality, 185T polyester mixed with 1000mm polyurethane coating high-tech for full water-resistance.
It is easy to set-up yet needs two people who can take 5 minutes. It has a two-way zipper and strong poles. The camping tent comes with one large mesh door, five large mesh windows, and a mesh roof to let a breeze in and keep bugs out. You can use the curtain as a room divider.
- Unconditional 1-year quality assurance
- Great water resistance
- Central door
- No screen area
- Not very wind resistant
With a guide price of under $160, you get a decent-sized tent that can suit a family. However, it lacks a few features to make it a great tent.
It has a central door, so access is good, yet the inclusion of a screen are would make the tent a much better option. It is close to an instant tent, and two adults can quickly erect it in under 5-minutes.
5. CORE 12 Person Extra Large Straight Wall Cabin Tent – 16’ x 11’
The Core 12-person tent comes in at 16 feet x 11 feet with an 86-inch center height and can sleep up to 12 people. It has room for four queen size air mattresses.
In warmer weather, it has a water repellent rainfly you can remove to expose the mesh ceiling. Couple this with the advanced venting system and adjustable air intake vent; that pulls cool air from the ground letting warm air rise upward.
It has two doors so that you can enter from the front T-Door or the back D-Door. Once inside, you can attach the room divider for a separate living and sleeping space.
- 1-year limited warranty
- Dual access doors
- Easy to divide for privacy
- Lots of windows
- No screened porch area
- The material lets lots of light through
With a guide price of just below $325, you get a vast tent that can sleep 12, or you can use it as a 10-person cabin tent with space to hold gear. One thing it does have others don’t is the chance to make it into a 3-room tent.
For families, you have sleeping space and living space, separated, and with lots of access.
Largest Tents for Camping Buying guide
Before you purchase the biggest tent you can find, there are some things to understand. Here’s what to think about before you buy any family camping tents.
Many large tents have a rectangular or square shape, but some have round shapes. Be mindful of sloping sides, as there will be more standing space inside tents with vertical walls. A dome tent may not offer the head height that cabin tents provide.
Some tents have a series of additions connected to the ends. You might wedge bags here or use them for kids to sleep; otherwise, adults won’t fit into these spaces.
Packing the right tent can make or break any camping trip. You’ll need a tent more extensive than the number of persons to accommodate with comfort. For example, a family of four needs a six-person tent to be comfortable. You can find a teepee tent, yet these can much extremely large and heavy.
Big tents need lots of headroom. Tents can be tall enough inside so adults can stand comfortably. Big family tents are about six feet high.
The best of a large camping tent is they have separate rooms. You can put kids to bed and not disturb them. Individual rooms are better for changing in private. Most tents come with 2, yet you can find some 3 room options.
Many family camping tents have canopies or awnings to extend from the roof. Canopies can block sunlight or protect you from rain. They are also perfect for setting up a table for eating, storing wet gear, or lounging around.
Ventilation and Doors
Any tent needs adequate ventilation, and it’s more important with more people. You need mesh windows, doors, or even full sections for heat to disperse.
You want convenient doors, so you don’t have to step over anyone at night to get inside the tent or out.
Some tents have pre-attached poles, so you don’t have to slide them through loops.
- Polyester: Most large tents are made from polyester. It’s lightweight, durable, and water-resistant, and can resist UV rays.
- Nylon: Rip-stop nylon is strong and often used on tents for extreme weather conditions such as 4 season tents. You can find many 3-season, yet like 4 season, they tend to be heavier.
- Polyethylene: No tents are made from 100% polyethylene. It is used with other materials to increase waterproofing and in-tent flooring.
- Canvas: A classic material not used so much now. It does, however, ventilate well. Heavy and not waterproof.
Dark Rest Tents
Dark Rest Tents are made from a material that blocks sunlight. It means you can sleep better and helps your family tent stay cooler in the sun.
You can have the biggest tents, or you can have a big tent that meets your needs. It was quickly evident that the Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent with Screen Room is perfect for most families or campers who want extra space.
You will see inside the tent is spacious, with a peak height of 6 feet 8 inches. It can withstand the worst of the weather, and the screen area offers more than enough space for many uses.
The thing that makes this tent stand out is the door system features. You can get in and out without interrupting anyone inside.
Read more: Find the Best Lightweight Camp Chair